Thursday, December 12, 2013

What's a dog to do ?

Trey loves toys.

 When we went to see the giant pumpkin races in Windsor, Trey found a stuffed bee that had fallen off one of the entries -- and lovingly brought it home.


Sometimes the things he finds are too big to bring home.  But that doesn't stop him from trying and trying  ...


This is not my idea of a stick.  Nevertheless Trey dragged it for ages in the vain hope that I would hurl it into the woods for him to fetch and bring back.  Sadly, I could only heave it about 10 feet at best.


Trey loves balls.  He loves balls with a deep abiding and mildly insane love.


Trey loves balls almost as much as he loves frisbees.  Frisbees are wonderful !  He hurls himself straight up to snatch them in mid-flight.  Then, victorious, he shakes the Frisbee from side to side to ensure it is well and truly dead and once he is assured of its "deadness" he brings it back to me to throw again.


There is a company that makes durable toys for more exuberant dogs like Trey.  The one he is sweetly holding in the picture below is not just double- or triple-stitched. Its seams were stitched SEVEN times over. As you can see,  Trey saw that as a challenge.


Sometimes when a toy cannot be found, Trey's beloved "sucky" bed inadvertently receives unwarranted attention.  


If a toy is not available, then a just-discovered piece of rotting rag will have to do.


Here is Trey with yet another, brand new, seven-stitched toy.

It no longer exists.


Because of Trey's enthusiastic attitude toward his toys and because we have more than one dog in the house and we don't want to have any "dust ups" over such things,


all the toys are put away in the toy box.

That's right, there are no toys just lying around for Trey to destroy.

And I guess that is why I should not have been surprised when I caught him checking out the cats' toys...


Pathetic !

18 comments:

  1. I think your dogs are great! I especially like the last one of Trey. I am sure that they are great companions for you, and from the looks of it, give you much laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bonnie, they are the lights of my life. I can live with the fur floating in the air and the occasional pile of barf hidden in the corer. They are a small price to pay for such wonderful friends.

      Delete
  2. Oh this is so cute. Trey has a toy fixation, I reckon. That is what makes him so darn cute. The last photo with the itty bitty cat toy is precious. From a huge tire and a log to a cat toy. He likes variation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this made me laugh! Funny Trey, he just wants to do whatever makes him happy, and toys make him happy! Love him heaps. :) Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, he'd love you back if you met him. He loves, loves, loves people too!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness what an adorable post! I imagine a dog with such enthusiasm can be a joy and a challenge all at once! We had one of those "jumbo kong" toys - fabric on the outside. You can imagine the fabric didn't last forever as Teddy stripped it away, but the inside turned out to be two rather sturdy balls which we still have and he likes to play with regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Trey loves those Kong balls too. Do they sell those antler chews where you are ? My daughter got on for Trey. It was about 8"long and should have lasted for weeks and weeks. An hour later when I checked on it, it was 3" long and I had to take it away from Trey ... sigh ...

      Delete
  5. Just pathetic! How funny. Trey is adorable, you know that, right, Sybil? Yes, you know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Kathy. He is pathetically adorable. BTW we're getting into "Fly Ball" in the New Year !

      Delete
    2. Just checkin' back to see if you've written any more. As soon as we leave for Georgia on Wednesday I'll be off line for a while (theoretically, unless inspiration strikes) and probably won't be reading any more blogs til the new year. Hey, expect a little New Years card in the mail...

      Delete
  6. Oh the Wubba Kong toys. Yep. Been there -- destroyed that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post about Trey's love for toys made me smile. My beagle, Ninio, shares the same destructive interest for toys. Hardly any have resisted his enthusiasm. I love your photos of Trey, so expressive and funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet Trey and Ninio could wreak some pretty significant havoc together on a box of toys ! lol

      Delete
  8. Oh, I loved this. Having my "Henry," who also has tried to drag, pull, bring in huge LOGS into the house by the skin of his teeth, I could relate to Trey and his love of toys. And sticks. And like Trey, most toys last 1.6 minutes (we time Henry, sometimes). Thus, sticks are a good choice, except for the fact that Henry eats the remaining vestiges like candy. Oh well. Wish I had wonderful photo examples, like you do. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'd love to see Henry. What sort of dog is he ? I assume he's a BIG dog ? Trey is just a bit over 40 pounds. He just "thinks" he's big.

      Delete
  9. I believe Trey and our Isabel would be fast friends, they have a similar history with toys. We are constantly picking fibrous disembowelments from the day's most unlucky toy. At the dog park she ignores the toys, until I pick one up and through it for her, after that God help any other dog that dares show an interest in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy is even worse than Trey really at disenboweling toys. Trey loves playing with them. Wendy loves "killing" them.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.