Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Expect delays ... and Pirates !

Maritime Race Weekend saw lots of runners in the Passage for 5k, 10k, half and full Marathon races. ...


You can't say we weren't warned.


My friend Mickie was running in the 5 k on Friday evening and her partner, Amy was going to take photos.  Did I want to meet up with them ?

"Sure", I said.  "I'll meet you near the start area."


Want to take a guess how THAT worked out ?  

After scanning a thousand or so faces, and realizing that I wouldn't be meeting up with my chums, I reconciled myself to enjoying the race on my own.

And I did.


Participants and spectators were encouraged to dress up in keeping with the Pirate theme.


I was really impressed with the costumes folk came up with. 





Family and friends came out to show support for the runners.


And ... "THEY'RE OFF !"


The setting sun cast its orange glow on the runners.

Yep.  She ran the 5 k in a "boat" !


Along the route on Shore Road, encouraging signs, cow bells and cheering watchers urged the racers on.





And what better way to celebrate the end of the race than with fireworks ?


Almost makes me want to lace up the running shoes and get out there.

I said ALMOST.



10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was. Sadly the sun was setting as the race began so it was hard to get good shots of the runners returning on the 5 k.

      Delete
  2. I love the sign that says, "The rougher the seas, the faster we run. Ahoy!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased by the signs, T shirt messages and banners held up by family and friends. It was such a supportive atmosphere.

      Delete
  3. Oh how fun! I loved imagining this. Strangely enough, I just posted a pirate photo, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is "Talk-like-a-Pirate-Day" today Kathy.

      Delete
  4. And a good run was had by all!. Great pics Sybil. How you got all these pics is a mystery to me. You had to have done lots of moving around. Bet you felt as if you'd run in the race after shooting all these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I was racing the setting sun and the fading light and now I wish I had gone out to see the other races too. Oh well ... NEXT year.

      Delete
  5. I was about to be disgruntled till I realized that you were a spectator with a great eye rather than a lunatic runner! ;-) What wonderful costumes. And a fine way to make the horrendously boring act of running a good deal more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was a "lunatic" runner, but I can't imagine running on concrete/asphalt. A little rough on these old joints.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.